PRINCIPLES AND REQUIREMENTS
The Masters of Linen® certification is available for European Spinners, Weavers and Circular Knitters who commit to support European industry, and to implement strict traceability. They are audited every year by an external inspection body. CELC Membership is pre-requisite.
Editors and brands may become certified as well, or receive the fabric certification from their supplier.
REQUIREMENTS FOR A CELC SPINNER
1. Producing entirely in Europe (European Union or Euromed zone),
2. Purchasing 100% European Flax® certified fibre (possible acceptance of 2% non-EU water-retted flax)
European Flax® fibre is guaranteed with no irrigation*, no GMO, no waste, dew-retting etc. see European Flax pages * certified 99.9% by CELC;
3. Verification of commitments through yearly independant audit;
4. Labelling only linen yarns products made from linen components 100% certified, and with final composition: 100% linen, or majority linen blends (intimate yarns not allowed save for some exceptions).
REQUIREMENTS FOR A CELC WEAVER/KNITTER
1. Producing in the European Union;
2. Purchasing certified linen :> 55% Masters of Linen® certified yarn yearly, over total linen supplies. In case fabrics are purchased, calculations cover the total yarn+fabrics purchased (in kilos).
3. Third-party verification through yearly independant audit;
4. Labelling only linens complying with Masters of Linen requirements, meaning :
– Woven/knitted in E.U. from linen yarns 100% certified,
– and with final composition: 100% linen, majority linen blends or linen union*
*cotton warp, linen weft, min. 40% linen
5. Transferring the fabric certification and the Masters of Linen logo to clients under the same conditions.
FOR EDITORS AND BRANDS
European textile editors and brands have 2 options:
A/ benefit from the fabric certification transferred by their certified weaver/knitter.
In this option, transmission of the fabric’s certification is formalized by a written confirmation naming the complying qualities, specifying «Masters of Linen certified» claim for each. This document may take any form: order confirmation, invoice, a separate document, etc.
It is accompanied by the Masters of Linen® Logo, Guidelines for Use and Marketing tools, sent by the weaver/knitter, or by CELC on request.
B/ become certified by committing to purchasing Masters of Linen certified fabrics for at least 55% of their total linen fabrics, and a yearly audit similar to weavers/knitters.
In this option, they are listed among the certified companies.
In both cases, only the linens confirmed to be Masters of Linen certified by the weaver/knitter, may be labelled as Masters of Linen.
1- Join CELC
Either via a national association – for Italy, Belgium, Austria – or directly to CELC for other countries
2- Become certified
For information, application etc. : Julie Vénard | email@example.com